1. Capitalism is not evil. Capitalism harnesses the innate greed that human beings naturally have, and provides more opportunities than any other form of government in history. A rising tide lifts all ships, so if the country gets richer, that means better help for the less fortunate (and/or lazy and worthless) people.
2. The Supreme Court is not “supreme” The founding fathers never meant for the judicial branch to become the ultimate power of the universe. Over time, that’s become the case. The two party system ensures we never have the votes for a new constitutional amendment, and the executive branch is completely impotent.
3. No American should ever go hungry. If you asked most conservatives, they’d agree with this statement… But more specifically, I mean that no child, handicapped, or ill person should go hungry. Able-bodied people who are simply lazy can starve for all I care.
4. The government is the worst form of charity. Non profits and churches SHOULD be the social safety net for less fortunate. Sadly, the government has increasingly intervened, taxed, and commandeered the charity profession calling it “welfare.” The federal government has no role in social welfare. This is a state and local activity.
5. Egregious criminals should be executed. With the forensic technology available today, there is no reason we should shy away from ridding society of depraved scumbags. Money is wasted taking them through countless appeals, and housing and feeding them for the rest of their lives.
6. Gays should be allowed to legally marry. My conservative friends cringe when I say this. But the fact is, it’s discriminatory to give financial incentives to certain groups and not to others. It doesn’t matter if you think homosexuality is “sin”, because in the eyes of the law, it’s irrelevant.
7. Life begins at conception. An unborn child is not “part of the mother” that can be discarded. It has it’s own unique DNA, heartbeat, etc. If it’s got human DNA, it’s human. If it’s different from the mother, then it’s a unique person. If it’s a unique person, then you can’t kill it just because it’s fragile.
8. Federal government should be TINY. The feds have only a few responsibilities – military, census, interstate legal cases. That’s about it. Schools, medicine, insurance, regulations, roads, and basically everything else should be decided by state governments. That’s what the founders wanted. That’s what makes the most sense.
9. Corporations are not evil, including banks, insurance and oil companies. Corporations are made up of millions of AMERICANS. And even people who don’t work in big corporations have stocks in them. When you screw corporations, you’re actually screwing the millions that work there, along with your own 401k. Dumbass.
10. Global warming is simply a marketing scheme. Scare people and they’ll change their buying behavior, change their voting behavior. GE is constantly harping on being green. Guess what, they manufacture tons of products that are “green” and they stand to make a fortune if they convert people to global warming religion. 40 years ago scientists were on the ice caps with black tarps trying to get them to melt faster so we wouldn’t have an ice age. They have NO idea what’s going on.
11. Immigrants and Illegal Immigrants are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. I am fully supportive of legal immigration, and I’m even in favor of issuing work visas and day passes so that we can still have cheap fruit. I’m not in favor of having millions of people pouring into the country on which we have no records. BAD idea.
12. Racism is largely bunk. Affluent areas tend to be far less racist than poor areas. I believe that racism is a product of poverty and that entire mindset of ignorance. Educated people are rarely racists (and when they are racists, they prefer to hide it). Slavery was 150 years ago. No one alive today ever owned a slave.
13. Kids should be spanked. Back when ALL kids were spanked, they never had school shootings, teenage pregnancy, drug use, or rampant STDs. We wonder why our kids have gone to hell in a handbasket. Well duh.
14. Taxing bad habits is still wrong. Cigarette, gambling and other “sin taxes” are a blight. I’m a militant cigarette hater, and even I know that it’s immoral to punish a group for doing something that’s completely legal. Either make it illegal or get off their backs.
15. Drunk drivers should do hard time. I have personal hatred of drunk drivers, but beyond that – no one doesn’t know they should have a designated driver. If you still choose to drink and drive and you get caught, there shouldn’t just be a fine. First offense, at least a year in jail. Three strikes gets you 25 years. Only cracking down will ever make a dent in this problem.
16. Drugs should all be legalized. The government has no business telling you not to do drugs. I have never even tried pot, but even I am for legalization. Tax it, regulate it, sell it at Walgreens. If you drive under the influence, you go to jail. If you get high in your basement, more power to you.
17. Terrorists don’t get our Bill of Rights. Last time I checked, military action by groups not operating under a national flag are terrorists. And last time I checked, the Geneva Conventions didn’t cover terrorists. Our courts are wasting time and money giving these guys “due process” when they should be enjoying military executions.
18. The time for labor unions has passed. When unions first formed, there was no OSHA, no EPA, no minimum wage, no workers rights of any kind. The only thing unions do now is ratchet up costs and line their own pockets. UAW is happy to insist on large pay increases even as their numbers dwindle. If they cared about the people, they’d worry more about keeping as many people employed as possible instead of trying to get rich.
19. Bailouts fly in the face of our founding principles. After 9/11, Southwest Airlines didn’t take any money from the Feds, and they came through great while other airlines simply squandered the cash. Imagine if they hadn’t been bailed out, Southwest would have gotten all of their competition’s business. Ford didn’t take a bailout last year, and guess who turned a profit? Ford. Imagine if GM and Chrysler hadn’t been bailed out – Ford REALLY would have eaten their lunch. When bad things happen, the best companies should prosper, and the weak, stupid, and inefficient companies should die.
20. The Monroe Doctrine is the best way for America to operate. We keep interfering in other country’s business and then we wonder why everyone is pissed at us. We need to bring home ALL of our troops, including the ones that are in Germany, Europe, etc. We need to park our battleships on our own coasts to defend our waters. We need our military to be on our borders keeping out riffraff. We need to stop screwing with other countries. It’s not our problem. We have plenty of things we need to fix here before we worry about other countries, or worse, expand through imperialism. That doesn’t have a very good history.