Avatar is apparently the biggest grossing film of all time, as James Cameron seems to be good at accomplishing. However, Avatar is not a good movie, and here’s why:
1. It rips off every movie cliche’ of the past 30 years. It’s part Dances With Wolves (the most obvious storyline ripoff), part Star Wars, and part Starship Troopers. The most stunning part of the ripoff is that it was so poorly written and acted that it made Kevin Costner look like a frickin genius. From a story point of view, there was NOTHING new about this movie.
2. The dialogue was painfully retarded, as if written by a 13 year old girl. “I see you”? Gag. There are so many amazing screenwriters out there, why Cameron doesn’t hire one of them boggles the mind. He has never been able to write dialogue, and this movie reinforced that fact.
3. Unobtainium. I laughed so loudly when they first mentioned this “natural resource” that I thought security was going to make me leave. The moment the word was spoken, all hope for taking the movie seriously was gone.
4. New age white guilt barf-fest. What do you get when you mix white guilt with new age touchy-feely philosophy? You get oppressed blue natives just trying to keep their simple spiritual lives while the evil white men exploits them and rapes the planet. I don’t know how you can see this message and not be disgusted by it. You know what? Screw the blue natives. They should have built their village somewhere that didn’t sit on top of the Unobtainium.
5. If you see the movie without 3D, you can’t help but focus on the 4 points above. I haven’t heard one person that saw the movie in a regular theater that liked the movie, and I haven’t heard one person that saw the 3D version that didn’t like it. That tells me that the only good part of the film was the visual effects. Per usual, James Cameron. If you’re going to spend 300 million on special effects, couldn’t you at least pop for a screenwriter?
I’m just saying.