Christmas is over, and the second longest year of my life is about to go away. Good riddance. 2004 was filled with ups and downs, successes and failures, and there are times that all I can see are the failures.
Rather than dwell on that, I’m going to put down my list of things for 2005 that I’m going to try and do.
1. I won’t take friends for granted, because it’s too hard to find good ones.
2. I won’t put professional success over personal success. (Thank you, Traci, for that insight. You are missed.)
3. I won’t let people that I care about drift away, even when it’s difficult and I don’t have time.
4. I won’t care about people that aren’t worth the effort of #3.
5. I won’t use my good credit rating to buy things I can’t afford.
6. If someone tells me one thing, but does the opposite, they won’t continue to get more chances.
7. I will let go of the things in the past that can’t be changed, and that continue to hold me back.
8. I won’t assume that someone else’s negativity is because of something I did or said, even if I’m sure it’s my fault.
9. I won’t spend time with anyone that doesn’t want to spend time with me. There’s no future in being someone’s “obligation.”
10. I won’t let myself absorb the attitude of those around me.
11. I will speak my mind, even if it offends.
12. I will try not to offend, but I won’t take it personally when people object to my opinion.
13. I will not get sick. Not even a cold. Not even a sniffle. I don’t believe in sickness. Mind over matter.
14. I will eat better and try to save my ailing gall bladder.
15. I will put my expectations of myself above other’s expectations.
16. I will set reasonable goals that do not result in mental breakdown, bitterness, alienation of friends, bizarre behavior, or any other things that result from setting and attaining ridiculous goals.
17. I will get nothing but A’s in my Master’s classes, because if I’m going to do something, I’m going to do it excellently.
18. I will try to spend less time with my computer and more time with people I like.
19. I will value those that go out of their way for me, not those I go out of my way for. (God only knows why these aren’t the same people…)
20. I will have people over to my house and cook for them. I’m sweet like that.
21. I will not let the world beat my contentedness, happiness, or generosity out of me.
22. I will introduce myself to total strangers instead of talking only to people I already know. Even if it kills me.
23. I will learn to make gravy.
24. I will ask a girl out if I like her, even if she says no and then avoids me for the rest of eternity. (Thanks to the Pizza Shoppe waitress for that insight…)
25. I will go to a chiropractor instead of taking 16 Tylenols every day.
26. I will have a drink whenever I want to. 1 drink.
That’s all I can think of right now, but I think it’s a pretty good list.