As you all know, I’m a strong advocate of 2nd Amendment rights. I’m a multiple gun owner, a concealed carry permit holder, and I firmly believe that guns in the hands of good guys is the best deterrent to violent crime. The cops aren’t ever there till the crime is over. You can feel free to read my multiple posts on the topic if you want.
But in light of recent events including Sandy Hook and the nut in New York… I’m ready to admit we need to take some drastic measures. You’ll be happy to know that my drastic measures don’t include taking your guns, but it WILL dramatically decrease gun violence. If you own 50 guns, it will take you a few minutes to get into compliance, but if you have that many, you already had to get an FFL. Here’s the plan:
- 1. Ban assault rifles. You don’t need an AR-15 to hunt a deer. Or even a bear. They are definitely fun, but in the hands of the wrong guys, they are devastating. The constitution does not guarantee the right to bear automatic weapons or military-grade arsenals.
- 2. Ban all person-to-person sales of guns, and ban all gun shows. Obviously this is the primary way that guns get into the wrong hands. FFL dealers aren’t selling guns to felons (as the guy in New York was). I understand that Sandy Hook’s weapons were bought by a family member – I’ll get to that.
- 3. When purchasing a gun at an FFL dealer, your serial number is permanently linked to your social security number via the ATF. We MUST know who owns the guns so that when they are used in a crime we can have a starting place. This doesn’t in any way affect you unless your plan is to commit a crime. I had to give my social security, fingerprints, and mugshot to the state when I got my CCW. What’s the difference? You don’t have the right to own an untraceable firearm. That’s not in the constitution.
- 4. Require that all existing guns be added to a federal registry. You register your gun online at the ATF website. The penalty for having a non-registered gun in your possession (on your person, in your car, in your home) would be a felony and would require jail time. We MUST have a record.
- 5. If your gun is stolen, you must report it immediately. If it was stolen because you didn’t take precautions against it, then you go to jail. It’s completely irresponsible to allow someone to break a window and have access to your arsenal. They should have to carry off a 500 pound safe if they want your gun.
- 6. If your gun ISN’T reported stolen and it’s used in a crime, you will serve jail time in proportion to the type of crime, even if you didn’t commit it. You are responsible for all guns registered to you. We gun guys love personal responsibility, so this shouldn’t bug any of us.
If we take these steps, everyone can keep their guns assuming they keep them locked up and stowed safely. At the same time, we would decrease crime, because those of us who aren’t criminals don’t want to serve jail time because we couldn’t be bothered to register and lock up our guns.
Piece of cake.